Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Transforming Old designs into Modern Art

Well, after five years of working for myself, I’m going back to the traditional workforce. This is both exciting and terrifying, but I’m taking it in stride. Of course, the most important aspect is my wardrobe! My old clothes are currently unfashionable, and also do not fit thanks to the 15 pounds I’ve put on! So, I made a very lucrative trip to a couple of my local thrift stores!

I love thrift stores for a lot of reasons. First, I can find clothing in all styles for a very reasonable price. Second, there are so many old things to see that I get lots of ideas for my stitching hobbies. Occasionally, I even find the odd piece of china or glassware that matches what I already have. It’s a great way to shop!

 

With the clothing, though, thrift shops are also a great way to stock up on old T-shirts and clothing for practicing machine embroidery on. Whether one needs to figure out the perfect stabilizer or embroidery design placement, this is a cheap, easy way to perfect your techniques. And, since these practice pieces aren’t something to wear, it’s possible to stitch designs all over them!

When buying used clothing, there is always the possibility that it won’t be in perfect condition. For those of us with an embroidery machine, though, the little flaws are easy to hide with a little flower here or a colorful geometric there. As long as the fabric isn’t worn out looking, these little additions make each garment a designer one-of-a-kind. You can even change out any buttons to match the designs you added.

One of my new work pieces is a pretty shift dress in periwinkle blue. The hem and neck edging are just a bit worn. Thanks to my favorite embroidery design gallery, I have the perfect design that will add a border to both edges and cover up the flaws. Now, I just need to decide if I want to make it tone-on-tone or add a touch of pizazz with a contrasting color. I’ll be playing with my threads for machine embroidery later to help me decide.

I also picked up a wonderful black silk vest. The seams aren’t in the best shape, but it’s also much too big for me which gives me the opportunity to save the vest while making it fit. I think I’ll save this one for winter wear. Adding batting and lining and then decorating it with quilt embroidery patterns will make it a great addition for a chilly office.

I don’t have as much time to make the changes to my new wardrobe as I would like, but I plan on enjoying every minute of it! I actually remember enjoying my embroidery and quilting more when I could only do it on the weekends, so going back to work has even more to look forward to than just the obvious.

When the stresses of my week get to me, I’ll always know that my embroidery machine will be there to welcome me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment