Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A better place to keep my Embroidery machine and other accessories

As I watch my new sewing room taking shape, I am both relieved and overwhelmed. It’s undergone a lot of changes since we moved home from Greece. Instead of white walls and ceramic tile floors, I have lovely blue walls and thick carpet. Love the walls. Hate the carpet. Of course, this room is shaped differently and I no longer have basement storage, so I am forced to cram as much of my stash in here as possible, along with all my office supplies.

It’s a lot of work, but I am loving it.

The first thing I did was give all of my machines a good cleaning. Can anyone tell me why I have five sewing machines? I will say that they all get used, too, just for different purposes. My embroidery machine, of course, gets its own table and place of honor in the room. Because I spend more time doing machine embroidery than anything else, it just makes sense.


On the wall above it, I have all of my thread for machine embroidery on my old spindle-type thread racks. I’d like to do something else, but haven’t decided on what. I have a lot of thread, so it takes up a lot of space! Dust is a concern, but light is not. My huge window is covered outside with beautiful wisteria and cone flower vines. I still get lots of light with the benefit of natural curtains.

In a rolling drawer cart under the table, I keep all the little odds and ends needed for my embroidery. Stabilizers take up a couple of drawers all on their own. Scissors, pins, spray adhesives and such join the mix. The top drawer holds all the computer doo-dads to get my fantastic embroidery designs to the machine. Yes, I can just hook up the machine to the computer, but that would entail a very long USB cable. Using my cards and reader/writer is just easier.

My regular sewing machine and serger are within easy reach of the embroidery machine, which makes it quite simple to do many things at once. My small embroidery-only machine is in the corner where the two tables meet to make an L-shape. The final machine, capable only of straight stitching will eventually be out in the garage when I set up my long-arm quilting table. Okay, I think I’ve answered my own question about the number of machines!

With the blue walls and strange mix of different sewing and office furniture, I’m re-thinking my color schemes. In Greece, it was Tuscan. Here, I’m going for a retro Parisian look to match my pink and yellow accessories with the walls. Eventually, all the furniture will be painted with black bases and very light pink (Shrimp Toast) tops, interiors and shelves.

Of course, this means new dust covers for my sewing and embroidery machines. That means a trip to my favorite online embroidery design gallery! Why don’t you come along with me? It will be a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment